Sorong, Jubi – The rain seems not to interrupt a group of young people in Sorong City, Papua Barat, to raise banners and posters in solidarity for Nduga’s people on Friday afternoon (7/3/2020). This Friday’s candlelight solidarity event has conducted two months ago, started in January 2020.
The event coordinator Leonardo Ijie said the event is a mutual commitment of young people to the humanitarian issue and opened for everyone who concerns about justice enforcement and peacebuilding in the Land of Papua (Papua and West Papua provinces), in particular, what has happened in Nduga.
The recent data released by Papua Behind Bar records that there are 243 civilians died during the military operation in Nduga since 4 December 2018 to 2 February 2020. It includes those who killed by the Indonesian military and police and those who died of hunger and illness.
Furthermore, Ijie, who is also the Secretary of the Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Kaki Abu observes that the state has neglected the civil rights of Nduga people in various ways, one of which is security.
“Up to this day, the state or even the government is not paying attention to this issue. Now, this (humanitarian) issue starts to disappear from us, especially from indigenous Papuans,” he told Jubi on Friday night during the event.
The candlelight vigil in solidarity for Nduga will continue to hold until the people in Nduga get their rights by allowing the refugees to return to their village without feeling intimidated.
“Today, through this event, we want to tell the world and Nduga people that they are not alone. We are here for them,” said Ijie.
“We are determined to carry out this action until the situation in Nduga turns conducive. We ask the government to subject this issue as a crucial matter. That there is a massive displacement, severe human rights violations in Nduga. It seems there is no humanity out there,” said Ijie.
However, participants attending the event this Friday are less than the previous days. “Perhaps, the rain has made fewer people come,” said Ajie explaining that there was no problem arranging this event so far.
“Usually, there would be two police officers who just come to watch.”
A participant Debby says that his willingness to take part in this solidarity event began with her concern over several human rights violations and violence by state apparatus against Papuan civil society.
“I represent those of other Indonesian regions. I am Muslim and very concerned about what has recently happened in Papua,” said Debby.
In line with Ijie, Debby finds that the neglection by state and government towards the legal settlement of events that had usurped the rights of ordinary people in the Land of Papua.
”It seems the state has tolerated human rights violations in Papua, in Nduga. It made all of us in Papua feeling unsecured, particularly among the migrants who have limited information. It made us suspicious of each other. I come to the solitary for purely voicing peaceful in Papua,” he said.
The candlelight vigil in solidarity for Nduga lasted for approximately an hour. About twenty attending people then dispersed in an orderly manner while the rain is still pouring. (*)
Reporter: Yuliana Lantipo
Editor: Pipit Maizier
Docking their yachts at Jayapura Seaport, foreigners scrutinised by local immigration office
Jayapura, Jubi – Jayapura Immigration, Seaport Health Quarantine Office, Maritime and Port Authority secured and interrogated four foreign citizens on Wednesday (18/3/2020) following their act sailing to Jayapura sea and docking private yachts at Jayapura Seaport.
The Head of Jayapura Immigration Gatut Setiawan states the four foreigners arrived in Jayapura by two different yachts. The Singaporean Wong Tet Chong took Ximula-3 Langkawi, while Bruno Coolmet of France came to Jayapura with his wife and future son-in-law by Krypton.
“The four sailed from Sorong, West Papua Province and got clearance from Sorong Immigration. But, as soon they arrived in Jayapura, they were going to the downtown without reporting their arriving to the quarantine office and seaport authority,” said Gatut in Jayapura on Wednesday (18/3/2020).
In his statement, Gatut said Wong Tet Chong initially wanted to sail his yacht to Papua New Guinea but change the destination to Jayapura due to bad weather and engine problem. Besides, the authority of Papua New Guinea has currently closed access to the country.
“The immigration, quarantine office and seaport authority has interrogated (him) and conducted the thermal check as a procedure of coronavirus anticipation. His body temperature was normal, so we gave him two days to leave the Jayapura water. If he is still around [more than two days], the seaport authority will forcibly pull out his yacht out of Indonesia,” said Gatut.
Meanwhile, Gatut said the immigration did not found any immigration violations conducted by Bruno Coolmet, his wife and their future son-in-law because they have a legal permit to stay until 1 April 2020.
“Although they did not break the immigration rule, they should deal with both quarantine office and seaport authority because [docked and left their yacht at the seaport] without reporting. In the future, we will be more restricted to protect the security of the sea from invasion by foreigners or others by involving the quarantine office, seaport authority and other relevant offices,” said Gatut.
After completing their administrative issue with the quarantine office, the three French national should leave the Jayapura Sea. “The immigration is keeping their documents as a guarantee,” he said.
Earlier, Deputy Governor of Papua Province Klemen Tinal asked the Immigration, Seaport Quarantine Office and other relevant offices to restrict the surveillance over passengers at airports, seaports and other entries to anticipate the spreading of coronavirus to Papua.
“Restriction and inspection should be done more strictly to both foreign and domestic passengers coming to Papua,” he said. (*)
Reporter: Alexander Loen
Editor: Pipit Maizier
Goliat Tabuni asks independent team to investigate the church burning in Tembagapura
Jayapura, Jubi – West Papua Liberation Army (TPNPB) challenge the Government of Indonesia to provide access for an independent investigation team investigating perpetrators behind the burning of a church in Tembagapura Sub-district, Mimika Regency, Papua in a press released by TPNPB. The statement of the Supreme Commander of TPNTP General Goliat Tabuni received by Jubi on Wednesday (18/3/2020).
On Thursday (12/3/2020), the Indonesian Gospel Tent (GKII) Church of Sinai Congregation in Opitawak Village of Tembagapura Sub-district reportedly burned out. The Indonesian security forces pointed finger to TPNPB as perpetrators. However, General Goliat Tabuni denied all allegations in his press release.
In turn, he believes this incident was part of the game playing by the Indonesian security forces to discredit the image of TPNPB in which they have always done for a long time. “This is not new, but [it has happened] since 1960 to the present. The Indonesian Military and Police have done it for a long time,” said Tabuni in his press release.
Furthermore, Tabuni said TPNTP was not surprised by many reports accused them as the perpetrator behind the church burning. Therefore, he challenges the Indonesian Government to provide access to an independent investigation team to investigate.
Meanwhile, TPNPB spokesperson Sebby Sambon confirms the statement released on behalf of Goliat Tabuni as valid. Further, he says the independent investigation team preferred by TPNPB is a joint investigation team of the United Nation’s Human Rights Council and the National Human Rights Commission of Papua Office.
“If they want to find who is behind the church burning, the Indonesian Government must allow the independent team to investigate. [The independent team is] the Human Rights Council [United Nations] and the National Human Rights Commission of Papua Office,” Sambom told Jubi on Wednesday (18/3/2020).
Furthermore, he said the Indonesian Government should be able to prove their accusation through a fair and impartial legal process, not only pointing fingers to TPNPB. “The Indonesian Military and Police should not just accuse TPNPB, and the Indonesian media should not unilaterally publish the one-side story,” said Sambom.
Meanwhile, Antara News Agency launched the statement of Tembagapura Police Chief Adjunct Commissionaire Hermanto saying the insurgent group led by Lekagak Telenggen and Joni Botak burned down the GKII Sinai Congregation Church in Opitawak Village.
“The church was initially crowded by Opitawak villagers for worshipping and other church activities. However, in several recent weeks, the armed group came to spread terror in this village. People finally have to give in to this situation,” said Hermanto to Antara. (*)
Reporter: Benny Mawel
Editor: Pipit Maizier
80 candles lit to commemorate one-year of Sentani flash flood
Sentani, Jubi – Flash food that hit Sentani on 16 March 2019 is still kept strictly in the memory of those who experienced it. Even today, after one year of the disaster, many people are still living in refugee camps. To commemorate one year of the incident, young people and the Baptist Sunday School of Imanuel Toladan Church organise worship and several activities to pray for their family members who passed away in this natural disaster.
“We have not prepared this event for a long time, but we think this is what we can do. We want to remember the incident where all Sunday School’s students were gathering in the ‘island’ for worshipping then suddenly the flash flood came,” says Jenny Marlin Wenda, the GBIT Sunday School Principal, to Jubi on Monday evening (16/3/2020).
Furthermore, she adds that there is nothing more valuable than being grateful to God.
“So, here we are today. Mr Jeff Ron comes to give us a preach and motivate those who attend the worship today. Before praying, we lit 80 candles that provided by our school, then watch movies while gathering for coffee in the churchyard,” she says.
Besides youth and Baptist congregations, this event also involves nearby neighbours.
“We also thank those who participated to join the event and pray with us. We meet with families of victims who join and bring some food for all of us to enjoy. They feel this worship is important to them, so they come to join,” she says.
Moreover, she says no one ever thinks that they would survive in flah flood.
“When remembering that experience, I am sad because it caused 114 death, 205 missing and 961 injured, while approximately 11,725 are currently living in refugee camps. “
Meanwhile, Jeff Ron Sohilait in his preach says in difficult time humans might not think that they will survive during a flash flood, but nothing is impossible for God. God opened the way for us when we were at the island at the time.
“At that night, God opened us the way. He brought us out of place at that time. It means He has a certain purpose for the children of Sunday School in this world,” he says.
“On Saturday evening one year ago, these children went to the worship, and because of their prayer, God came to save them. This is a great testimony where God came to them in the sudden episode and guided them to the safe place,” says Jeff Ron. (*)
Reporter: Yance Wenda
Editor: Pipit Maizier
Most Read Posts
- Docking their yachts at Jayapura Seaport, foreigners scrutinised by local immigration office 23 March 2020
- Goliat Tabuni asks independent team to investigate the church burning in Tembagapura 23 March 2020
- 80 candles lit to commemorate one-year of Sentani flash flood 21 March 2020
- Four identified patients under surveillance of Covid-19 in Papua 21 March 2020
- Policy to restrict national and foreign citizens visiting Papua is still unclear 16 March 2020
- Kasus amuk massa di Wamena, 9 disidang di Wamena, 6 disidang di Biak 28 March 2020
- 7 kabupaten belum laporkan perkembangan penanganan Covid-19 28 March 2020
- Abaikan pembatasan jam jualan, kios di Toladan buka sampai malam 28 March 2020
- Cegah korona, Dinkes Deiyai lalukan penyemprotan disinfektan di tempat umum 28 March 2020
- Operasi militer dan virus corona di Papua 28 March 2020
- PH khawatirkan rencana pemindahan enam tersangka amuk massa Wamena ke Biak 28 March 2020
- Ibadah Minggu sejumlah Gereja di Kabupaten Manokwari ditiadakan akibat Covid-19 28 March 2020
- 8 warga binaan LP Biak terima cuti bersyarat 28 March 2020
Headlines1 year ago
Three refugees reportedly died in Nduga Forest
Headlines1 year ago
Indonesian Military: Papuan Rebels Mount Deadly Attack on Soldiers
Health & Education Service5 years ago
Sex Education Taught at School In Jayawijaya
Analysis6 months ago
Urgent international intervention in the Regency of Nduga, Papua Province, Indonesia : Open Letter
Headlines1 year ago
Papuan people demand the President to withdraw troops from Nduga
Human Right12 months ago
32,000 people flee violence in Papua – rights group
Headlines6 months ago
A tragic story from Deiyai Regent Office
Analysis7 months ago
The origin of Indonesian racism towards Papuans and its implication to a Free West Papua Movement