Deputy Regent confirms eight civilians killed in the shooting incident at Deiyai Regent Office – West Papua No.1 News Portal
Connect with us

Headlines

Deputy Regent confirms eight civilians killed in the shooting incident at Deiyai Regent Office

Published

on

Anti-racism protest in Waghete, the capital of Deiyai Regency, Papua, on Wednesday (28/8/2019). – IST

Nabire, Jubi – Deiyai Deputy Regent Hengky Pigai said the local government continue to update data on victims during the anti-racism protest on Wednesday (28/08/2019) at Deiyai Regent Office.

“Eight civilians were killed in the incident, while 16 injured people are in the Paniai Public Hospital in Madi for treatment. However, some victims have not found yet. So, this is a temporary finding,” Pigai told Jubi journalist Zely Ariane via telephone from Waghete on Friday.

Despite the number of victims, Pigai declined to specify the names of the victims. However, he asserted that the local government still would continue to verify the data of other victims because some protesters escaped to the jungle when the incident occurred.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Ministry of Justice and Peace of the Synod of Kingmi Church in Papua Yones Douw said the church had identified seven victims killed in the incident. Moreover, Douw, who also known as a human right activist, said they also get information about a victim died in the Panian Public Hospital in Madi. However, his identity remains not verified yet.

Loading...
;

Among the victims, there are three of them died in the hospital. “The are Alpius Pigai, 20 years old, Pilemon Waine, 28 years old, and Aminadab Potuki, 24 years old. We can verify their identities because their bodies are now with the families,” said Douw.

Meanwhile, four people died at the scene already taken by their families without taking to the hospital. “They are Derikson Adii, 21 years old, Hans Ukago, 26 years old, Marinus Ikomouw, 37 years old, and Yemii Douw, 29 years old,” told Yones Douw by phone to Jubi reporter from Nabire on Saturday.

Concerning the recent update on another victim died in the hospital, Douw said he could not confirm it yet. “So we still adhere to our latest verification that so far the number of dead is seven,” he said.

Meanwhile, Father Santon Tegeke Pr from Timika Diocese in Deiyai Regency told that the diocese had received information about eight civilians killed at Deiyai Regent Office. However, he admitted difficulties to verify the data on the dead victims because the Paniai Public Hospital in Madi kept the information on both dead and injured people.

“We received the information that eight people killed in the incident, but no detail information about their names and age. I came to meet the hospital management in Madi, but they refused to provide data of the victims, either dead or injured. The number of victims might increase because locals reported some protesters fled to the jungle. However, they cannot check their condition because the security forces are still at the scene,” Father Santo told Zely Ariane by phone on Saturday.

Moreover, Deiyai Regent Ateng Edoway invited him and other local community leaders on Friday. “The regent already received the name of victims who died at the Paniai Public Hospital from the hospital director. However, he said we could not announce their names at the moment,” said Father Santon. (*)

Reporter: Zely Ariane/Hengky Yeimo
Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 66 times, 1 visits today)

Headlines

Papua Police trace firearms trafficking around local landfill site

Published

on

By

Caption: Local crowds in Wamena Airport, Jayawijaya, Papua, Friday (9/27/2019) – Jubi / Courtesy ANTARA

Papua, Jubi – Papua Regional Police are still investigating some cases of firearms and ammunition trafficking from abroad into the region. It follows up the increase of shooting terrors against military and police officers by unidentified groups in various areas of Papua.

“Indeed, we have information that firearms trafficking is not only from domestic sellers but also from abroad. There are indications that it comes through the border area, and from the Philippines via North Maluku, Sorong, West Papua Province into Papua. This route what we are tracking now,” he said in Timika as reported by Antara on Monday (13/1).

Furthermore, General Waterpauw asked the local community to provide support and assistance to notify the authorities if they have information related to the transaction of firearms and ammunition. Therefore, the authorities could stop the trading and at the same time be aware of the syndication network and take the perpetrators to the court.

Meanwhile, Mimika Police’s Special Force and Battalion B of Police’s Mobile Brigade have investigated some witnesses for information. Some of them are the local garbage truck drivers who are suspected transporting ammunitions with household waste to be disposed at the Waste Disposal Site at Iwaka Sub-district and heavy vehicle operators on duty at the Iwaka landfill site.

Loading...
;

Dozens of ammunition with the active launcher were first discovered by Hendra (17), a heavy equipment operator at the Iwaka landfill site on Tuesday (12/31/2019).

Based on Hendra’s information as reported by Darjo, a fellow operator at the Iwaka landfill, the ammunition wrapped in a plastic bag and transported to the landfill by a regional government garbage truck with hull number 10 with plate number DS 9593 MA.

Once opened, it is known that the plastic package contains ammunition of 10 grains of 5.56.5 TJ.

Then on Wednesday (1/1) at the same location, two GLM launchers and 50.56.5 calibre AMM ammunition were also found. The findings were then handed over to the Papua Police Regional Battalion Brimob B officers.

Currently, three civilians involved in the transaction of 600 ammunitions are undergoing trial in Timika District Court and have been pronounced for six years and five years sentence respectively.

While two Indonesian soldiers who involve in the case underwent hearing in the Jayapura Military Court but one suspect was found dead in his detention at Military Detention Center in Waena, Jayapura on Monday (6/1/2020)

Regarding the case, the Mimika Police Chief Adjunct Senior Commissionaire I Gusti Era Adhinata said dozens of active ammunitions and throwers found belonged to Indonesian military and police.

“Where did it come from, this is what we are currently investigating. From there, it will reveal the culprits who pulled those ammunitions and throwers from arsenals,” he said.

No mercy

Regarding firearms trafficking involved military members and police officer, Inspector General Paulus Waterpauw reminded his subordinates in Papua to not involve in the illegal firearms and ammunition trading. He stressed that there would be no mercy for those who catch in the act involving in the trafficking.

“I hope our members do not take advantage of this space for involving in ammunition trading, so on and so forth. In principle, for those who are indicated and proven to be involved, there would be no mercy for them. We will surely fire them disrespectfully and take them to the court,” he launched his statement in Timika on Monday.

However, the chief believes that most police officers serving in Papua have high integrity and loyalty. But, according to him, an individual member also can commit such a deviant act. (*)

Source: Antara

Editor: Jean Bisay

(Visited 21 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Environment

Raja Ampat’s government says to expel tourist ships for destroying coral reefs

Published

on

By

Panoramic view of Raja Ampat Islands. – Antara / Ernest Broning Kakisina

Waisai, Jubi – The Government of Raja Ampat Regency would drive out tourist ships for not complying local shipping regulations. The Regional Secretary Yusuf Salim affirmed the government’s policy is to address the environmental effects caused by tourist boats that often hit and damage coral reefs.

“This policy is to protect the natural reserve of Raja Ampat. Many operating boats do not pay attention to the rules that destroy the coral reefs,” said Yusuf in a meeting with tourism administrators on Thursday (09/01/2020).

He emphasised that the local government would not tolerate those who cause environmental destruction. Their licence would immediately revoke and no longer allowed to operate in Raja Ampat.

“All tourist ships must obey the rule if they want to continue operating in Raja Ampat. Such particular cruise ships must report their arrival to the regional government and follow relevant local regulations,” said Yusuf in a meeting chaired by Regent Abdul Faris Umlati.

Loading...
;

To prevent coral reefs from damage and destruction, managers of tourist ships required to involve certified local guides. If not, they are not allowed to enter and operate in Raja Ampat.

“It is for ensuring the convenience (and safety) during the tour. The coral reefs’ damages also can be avoided (prevented),” said the Head of Raja Ampat Tourism Office Yusdi Lamatenggo on the same occasion.

Further, Yusdi hopes that tourism operators and local people would report to the Tourism Office if they find any tourism services to not involving certified local guides. His office is ready for taking action on those who violate the rules.

Earlier, Lamima Surabaya, an Indonesian-flagged cruise ship, reportedly hit a coral reef surround Misool Island of Raja Ampat Regency, West Papua Province. Meanwhile, several Indonesian cruise ships carrying foreign tourists travelling in Misool Island also suspected of not paying tolls to the regional tourism office for entering local tourist destinations.

The Sub-district chief of Misool Selatan Samsul Rumasukun when contacted from Sorong on Tuesday (7/1/2020) confirmed that Lamima Surabaya was transporting foreign tourists before ran aground on the coral reefs surround Banos and Lenmakana waters in Misool Island on 3 January 2020. But the case was not widely known to the public.

He said the ship had continued its tour, but the incident already tackled by the Raja Ampat Police.

Meanwhile, Adrianus Kaiba, the Head of the Regional Public Service Agency for the Tourism Destination of Regional Tourism Office, separately said that every tourist visit Raja Ampat oblige to pay entrance fees in tourist destinations.

According to him, Lamima Surabaya cruise ship, which reportedly ran aground in the tourist destinations between the islands of Banos and Lemakana Misool, has so far not paid entrance fees to the regional tourism office.

At the end of December 2019, the Provincial Government of West Papua appealed for yachts entering its sea territories to involve local tour guides. This appeal issued following the incident of the cruise ship Aqua Blu landed on the coral reefs of Wayag Island.

The Head of Provincial Tourism and Culture Yusak Wabia in Manokwari on Monday (30/12/2019) stated the importance of using local guide services to avoid accidents such as crashing into coral reefs.

He said the local guides were more aware of the geographical condition of their territory, so it would prevent accidents. “Only local people know for certain the geographical conditions and the weather of their sea. They also maintain the coral reefs which are the source of their livelihood,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Indonesian Tour Guide Association (HPI) in Raja Ampat Regency, West Papua Province, Ranny Iriani Tumundo, regretted the incident of Aqua Blu cruise ship crashing on the coral reefs of Wayag Island.

She conveyed that according to the regulations, each cruise ship sailing around the sea of Raja Ampat oblige to notify the local government and meet the administrative requirement before visiting tourist destinations. Also, they require to pay retribution fee for entrance to the local government through the Office of Investment and Integrated Business Services.

“If a cruise ship has done it, then it is legal to travel in Raja Ampat. Also, the cruise ships must obey the shipping lane and involve local people as tour guides to avoid unexpected incidents happen, such as crashing into a coral reef,” she said. (*)

 

Reporter: ANTARA

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 15 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Wilem Walilo prosecuted one year sentence for carrying a sharp weapon to feed pigs

Published

on

By

Photo illustration – pixabay.com

Jayapura, Jubi – Jayapura District Court resumed a trial against Wilem Walilo who suspects involved in the mass rampage of 29 August 2019 on Wednesday (08/01/20). The public prosecutor charged him with one year sentence for possessing a sharp weapon ‘badik’ which the purpose of feeding his pigs.

In the trial chaired by Judge Maria Sitanggang with other panel members Abdul Gafur Bunguin and Muliayan, public prosecutor Ismail Nahumarury asked the panel of judges to state the defendant Wilem Walilo was found guilty of carrying a sharp weapon.

“Wilem Walilo is guilty of carrying out a sharp weapon as stipulated in Article 2 verse (1) of the Emergency Law No.12 of 1951. Therefore, the defendant must sentence one year, which reduced with his current detention time,” said Ismail while reading the statement.

Walilo is a civil servant who arrested on 30 August 2019 for carrying a sharp weapon ‘badik’ holding between his waist on his way to feed his pigs. When passing in front of the Papua Governor Office to APO, he passed by the crowd of students. Therefore, he turned his motorcycle to the upper road Dok V Atas. On his way to APO, the police arrested him after finding he was carrying a sharp weapon.

Loading...
;

A member of the Advocate Team for Papuans, Sugeng Teguh Santoso as his legal advisor, questioned the public prosecutor’s charge. He asserted that Article 2 verse (2) of the Emergency Law No. 12 of 1951 clearly states that carrying sharp weapons for agricultural affairs, domestic work, or other legitimate purposes cannot be considered a crime.

Sugeng further said his client could get a sentence if the Court can prove his guilty of carrying weapons to commit a crime instead of working. “In Walilo’s case, he brought ‘badik’ for working. We think the court must release him because it already found out that the reason he carried the weapon was for feeding his pigs,” Sugeng said.

Also, stated Sugeng, his client actually protected Buton people living nearby his house during the mass riot in Jayapura on 29 August 2019. “He could not feed the pigs that day. So, the next day on 30 August 2019, he left his house to feed the pigs, but the police arrested him in a sweeping on the road,” he said.

In the meantime, the Chief panel of judges Maria Sitanggang said the trial against Walilo would resume on 15 January 2020. “A hearing to hear responses from legal advisers on the charge aimed by the public prosecutor,” Sitangang said. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 17 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Most Read Posts

Latest Post

Advertisement

Trending