INDONS FIRE AT OUR TROOPS – West Papua No.1 News Portal
Connect with us

Headlines

INDONS FIRE AT OUR TROOPS

Published

on

PNG's troops at border (Jubi)

PNG’s troops at border (Jubi)

Jayapura 5/5 (Jubi/Post Courier) – Indonesia troops have opened fire on a PNG Defence Force border patrol, increasing further tension at the Papua New Guinea-Indonesia border.

The flare-up at the border compelled the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Immigration to summon the Indonesian Ambassador Andrias Sitepu to give another protest note, just over a month after the diplomat was issued the first one over similar concerns.

Mr Pato said the note expressed concerns at the developments on the border and condemned the “shooting incident” on the morning of April 19 when Indonesian troops opened fire on a PNGDF patrol.

“While there being no reports of casualties, the Indonesian government should ensure that such incidences do not reoccur in the future,” he said.

Loading...
;

Despite the protest by Port Moresby, the situation is deteriorating, compelling the Government to ask Indonesia for dialogue to look for a way forward in line with various border treaties the two neighbours have signed over the years.

It is understood the current conflict between elements of the OPM (Operasi Papua Merdeka) and the Indonesian army over the last month and frequent border incursions will be the main focus of a border liaison meeting which will be convened in Indonesia later this week.

The PNGDF top brass at Murray Barracks have remained tight-lipped due to the sensitivity of the issue, though it is understood soldiers deployed to police the border are under strict instructions not to return fire if they engaged or caught in a crossfire between the OPM and members of the Indonesian army.

However, a PNG Govern-ment official speaking on condition of anonymity said the April 19 incident could have escalated if a PNGDF soldier was injured when they came under fire.

“It could have been worse if any of our soldiers were injured during the shootout on the morning of April 19, it (the situation) is very sensitive at the moment,” he said. The PNG ambassador to Indonesia, Commodore Peter Ilau (retired), will lead the PNG delegation to the border liaison meeting. (Jubi/Post Courier/Victor Mambor)

Original source

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Six defendants of anti-racism protest in Jayapura sentenced to six months jail

Published

on

By

Goddess of Justice. – Jubi/Pixabay

Jayapura, Jubi – The Jayapura District Court found guilty six defendants involved in a mass riot following the anti-racism protests in Papua on 29 August 2019. The panel of judges gave them six months sentence, reduced by the defendants’ detention period. Therefore, the defendants would able to release soon after being sentence since the end of August 2019. However, their legal counsel team says to challenge the verdict because they believe that their clients are not guilty.

The six defendants Yan Peter Suramaja, Dolfin, Vinsen Dogopia, Jorgen Aipui, Valerio Yaas, Peter Meraudje, are found guilty in the trial chaired by Judge Alexander Jacob Tetelepta, with the panel members Roberto Naibaho and Korneles Waroi.

The public prosecutor charged them with different articles. Yan Peter Suramaja charged with Emergency Article, while Dolfin accused Article 160 of the criminal code on the incitement against the government. Meanwhile, Vinsen Dogopie charged with Article 170 of the criminal code about conducting violence against people and properties. The other three defendants Jorgen Aipui, Valerio Yaas, and Peter Merauje indicted with Article 365 of the criminal code about theft with violence.

In responding to the court’s verdict, lawyer Frederika Korain confirms that her clients would release soon if they accept the verdict because they have been in the detention since the end of August 2029. “Following the court’s verdict, their days in the detention will end soon. But we will consider this and discuss with their family to challenge not guilty,” Korain says on Thursday.

Loading...
;

In the meantime, lawyer Relika Tambunan who is also a member of defendants’ legal counsel declares the court finding does not meet the expectation of the Advocate Team for Indigenous Papuans, as the trial was not able to approve the public prosecutor’s indictment.

“There is no strong evidence to accuse them. Indeed, the trial cannot prove that our clients are guilty or commit crime as charged to them. We have time to reconsider before challenge for not guilty,” said Tambunan. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Aryo Wisanggeni G

 

(Visited 25 times, 3 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Two civilians reportedly killed in Sugapa

Published

on

By

Photo illustration. – pixabay.com

Jayapura, Jubi – Two civilians reportedly killed in a joint military operation at Yoparu Village of Sugapa Sub-district, Intan Jayapura Regency on Tuesday (18/2/2020). The report also informs two Papuan women have been injured during the gun conflict and currently are under medical treatment. However, no release so far made by the security forces related to the report.

Jubi resource confirms two victims in this military ambush are Kayus Sani and Meky who shot in their houses on Tuesday dawn. The joint police and military forces arrived at Yoparu Village on Tuesday at around 3 a.m. Papua time, he says.

“Kayus was shot dead in his house. They (the joint security forces) entered the house and shot him on the chest and fingers. They also did the same thing to Meky, entering his house and shooting him dead in his house,” he says.

A report further informs that residents took the bodies of Kayus and Meky to a local church on Tuesday, but no information about their funeral yet.

Loading...
;

Meanwhile, two indigenous women were also reportedly injured in the same operation. Elepina Sani, Meky’s mother, was shot in her hand, and currently got treatment in Yoparu Village, while a bullet hit Malopina in her leg. She is referred to Timika on Tuesday for further treatment.

Until the article published, no confirmation from both military or police about the incident so far received by Jubi. Jubi has attempted to contact Papua Police Chief Paulus Waterpauw on Whatsapp at 20.26 Papua time for clarification, but no reply so far. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Military spokesperson says victims of military operation in Sugapa are members of insurgent group

Published

on

By

Photo illustration. – pixabay.com

Jayapura, Jubi – Colonel Eko Daryanto, the military public relations chief of Cenderawasih Military Command, says a victim killed on Tuesday (18/2/2020) in the armed conflict in Yaparo Village of Sugapa Sub-district, Intan Jaya Regency was an insurgent group member. He also claims that a boy killed in the same shooting location shot by the armed group.

Colonel Daryanto’s clarification is opposite to a witness’ statement cited by Jubi on Tuesday. Jubi resource told that both victims Kayus Sani and Meky Tipagau are civilians. He also informed two women had wounded during the attack.

As cited by Antara News Agency, Eko Daryanto states that the joint enforcement troop had involved in a gun conflict with an insurgent group in Sugapa on Tuesday at 7.20 Papua time when they saw two insurgent members carrying two guns. “They involved in a gun conflict while chasing those insurgents, but this armed group made to escape to the cliffs and bushes ahead to Ugimba,” says the colonel in Jayapura on Wednesday (19/2/2020).

Moreover, according to him, the troop later found Meky Tipogau’s body when checking the location after the conflict. He declares the victim Tipogau was shot by the military while carrying a weapon, but his friend was able to run away with his gun. Also, during the operation, the joint military troop seized a laptop, a cellular phone and two assembled guns, a facsimile machine, a bow and arrows.

Loading...
;

Eko further states that during the armed conflict on Tuesday, the insurgent group shot the joint military forces randomly. “Their fire hit 14 years old girls named Kina Sani who shot in her left sole,” says Eko.

Earlier, on Tuesday, Jubi published an article saying two civilians reportedly killed in Sugapa. According to Jubi source, the victims Kayus Sani and Meky Tipogau shot by the security forces in their houses. He stated that the shooting incident happened in the Tuesday early morning in Yoparu Village, Sugapa Subdistrict.

Jubi also reported that two women had injured during the armed conflict in the same location. Elepina Sani, Meky Tipogau’s mother, was shot in her hand, and now treated by locals in Yoparu Village. Meanwhile, Malopina Sani who shot in her leg referred to Timika for further medical treatment on Tuesday. (*)

 

Reporter: Aryo Wisanggeni G

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Trending