Papuan people demand the President to withdraw troops from Nduga – West Papua No.1 News Portal
Connect with us

Headlines

Papuan people demand the President to withdraw troops from Nduga

Published

on

Governor of Papua, Lukas Enembe talk to press after plenary meeting – Jubi/Harjuna

Jayapura, Jubi – Governor of Papua, Papua provincial parliament (DPRP), Papuan People’s Council (MRP), Papua Representative Office of the National Human Rights Commission, church and Papuan people urgently demand President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) to immediately withdraw troops from Nduga. The presence of the military and police in Nduga has triggered trauma among the villagers in that regency that they have fled to the forest.

This demand was authorized during non Regional Government Budget plenary meeting held at the Papua provincial parliament on Thursday (20/12/2018).

“We have all attended the plenary meeting of Papua provincial parliament relating to the incident in Nduga. Thus, the stance of the provincial government, the Papua provincial parliament, the Papuan People’s Council, the Papua Representative Office of the National Human Rights Commission, the church and civil society organizations is clear. We demand President Jokowi to immediately withdraw troops from Nduga,” said Papua Governor Lukas Enembe after the plenary meeting.

The troops withdrawal, according to Governor Enembe, must be undertaken so villagers in the regency can celebrate Christmas in peace. During Christmas time like this, Governor Enembe continued, there cannot be military or police in Nduga, particularly in Yali, Yigi, Mbua and Dal districts where the armed conflict claimed over 20 lives.

Loading...
;

“We grieve for both previous and current deaths. But that is enough. There cannot be any more civilian victims,” said Governor Enembe.

Regarding the conclusion of this plenary meeting, the head of Papua provincial parliament Yunus Wonda, stated that the entire seven factions of the parliament agree to withdraw military and police from Nduga and to establish an independent team. This independent team will work to collect data relating to the incident in Nduga. The team consists of the provincial government, Papua provincial parliament, Papuan People’s Council, church, Papua Representative Office of the National Human Rights Commission, and Papuan civil society.

“So this is the wish of Papuan people. This team is not just for the incident in Nduga. But also for all violence and conflict incidents on the land of Papua which have caused Papuan civilians to be harmed, traumatized or died,” said Yunus Wonda.

Relating to the security forces’ approach in responding to the Nduga shooting incident on 2-3 December, Enembe said that people in the regency should had been asked to leave the area or were evacuated prior to the military and police pursue the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) who claimed to be the shooters.

“Yet this is not it. The military and police set foot in before evacuating the people. Therefore, we demand the withdrawal,” continued Enembe.

As a person who used to be a regent in Puncak Jaya, the other regency where armed conflict often occurs, Governor Enembe admitted that he really knew TPNPB’s strategy. After carrying out attack at one location, TPNPB will go out from that location so that there are only civilians left.

Hence, Governor Enembe emphasized that the first step desired by the Papuan people is that the president must withdraw the troops. If the military and police were not yet withdrawn, no further step could be taken, not even sending food supplies.

“People who have fled to the forest cannot find food. We could neither send food nor collect data and facts if the troops had not been withdrawn. This troops withdrawal is the first step which determines the next steps. Accordingly, we will request to see the president to deliver this demand in this near future,” explained Governor Enembe. (*)

(Visited 18 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

HIV/AIDS transmission in Jayapura Regency claimed to decline

Published

on

By

Photo illustration of health services. – Pexels.com

Sentani, Jubi – Jayapura Health Office claims HIV/AIDS cases in Jayapura Regency has declined with only 3,202 cases occurred until last year.

“HIV/AIDS prevention is a complex issue. It would not only the responsibility of the health office, but all parties should contribute in educating the community,” said Pungut Sunarto, the Division Head of Disease Prevention and Management of the Jayapura Regional Health Office, on Tuesday (21/1/2020).

People living with HIV/AIDS in Jayapura Regency are mostly the productive age group ranging from 20-49 years old. There are also infants and children among patients.

“We are always updating the report on people living with HIV/AIDS [in our region]. If not, they would not be able to access the ARV,” said Pungut.

Loading...
;

He further said that the family plays a crucial role in preventing HIV/AIDS transmission. Similarly, he continued, life endurance among people living with HIV/AIDS depends on the support from their closest family.

“Those living with HIV/AIDS who regularly take their medicines (ARV) can reduce their medicine (ARV) can reduce the risk of virus transmission. So, please do not blame and stigmatise them,” said Pungut.

Meanwhile, a Sentani resident Edison Sineri agrees that parents have a significant role in preventing their children from behaviours that likely lead to the transmission of HIV/AIDS and other sexual diseases.

“Currently, young people are easily get involved in promiscuity that difficult to control by parents. It possibly leads them to negative behaviours.” (*)

 

Reporter: Yance Wenda

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 9 times, 2 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Lawyers question commitment over Papuan political prisoners’ right

Published

on

By

Three of seven Papuan political prisoners. – Jubi/Piter Lokon

Nabire, Jubi – The Papua Coalition for Law Enforcement and Human Rights urges the attorney general to fulfil the right of health for seven political prisoners detained in Balikpapan, Kalimantan Timur and consider it as a neglection of the prisoners’ rights.

“We release this statement after one of our clients experienced vomiting blood. He had an internal disease issue,” said the Coordinator Emanuel Gobay on Friday (24/1/2020).

The coalition team asks the Papuan Attorney General’s commitment to providing the right of health to the prisoners as previously promised. It never occurred. Indeed, the Attorney General has neglected their family’s right to visit.

“If the seven detainees were in Papua, of course, their family can come to visit and find an alternative for health treatment.

Loading...
;

Therefore, Gobay urges the Attorney General of Papua to recall the seven political prisoners to Jayapura. He said the security issue is no longer relevant as a reason to allocate their trial outside of Papua.

“It is unfair (for the seven detainees) referred that all the trial hearings of anti-racism case held in Papua. All those trials are going well and safe,” asserted Gobay.

Meanwhile, a coalition member Oktovianus Tabuni added that in principle the seven political prisoners are respecting their legal process. However, they want to have their trial in Papua.

“The principle of a trial is to have a timely and low-cost process. Do not let it (the trial) float up like what has been happening now,” said Tabuni. (*)

 

Reporter: Titus Ruban

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 42 times, 11 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Autonomy budget cut off, Jayawijaya Government reduce supplementary feeding budget

Published

on

By

Photo illustration of milk. -Pixabay.com

Wamena, Jubi – The Government of Jayawijaya Regency has reduced the number of schools to receive funding on the Supplementary Feeding Program (PMTAS). The reduction relates to the Special Autonomy Funds cut off for the PON (the National Games) 2020

Nurlili, an official at the Jayawijaya Village Community Empowerment Office (DPMK), said last year the program was running in five schools in Napua, Maima, Musaftaf, Wita Waya and Wadangku subdistricts.

“There allocate for only two schools this year because of the budget cut off for the PON. We depend on the Special Autonomy Funds for this program,” Nurlili said in Wamena on Tuesday (21/1/2020).

In 2020, the local government plans to implement the program in four sub-districts, namely Asolokobal, Wesaput, Muliama and Tagime. “But, Muliama and Tagime sub-districts are a bit far, so we decided to implement the program in the zone two, namely in SD YPPK Hepuba in Asolokobal Sub-district and SD Inpres Wesaput in Wesaput Subdistrict,” he said.

Loading...
;

The budget allocation for PMTAS Year 2020 reduced from IDR 857 million to IDR 468 million.

However, Nurlili hopes that in February they can conduct training for teachers and women at sub-districts and village levels on healthy food for children.

“At the end of the training, we will purchase some items that are not available in sub-districts and villages to deliver in March. They will be cooking food for the pupils, and we will monitor its implementation. There will be a payment for the cooks, but they should submit the report first,” he said.

In addition to food ingredients, the local government also provides cash for schools to purchase some food from the local markets to help the cash flow of villages and sub-districts.

“This program is very critical because President Jokowi has instructed us to decrease stunting among children. Therefore, we allocate the PMTAS for the primary school children because it is their growth period,” he said. (*)

 

Source: ANTARA

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 11 times, 4 visits today)
Continue Reading

Most Read Posts

Latest Post

Advertisement

Trending