West Papua petition caused a stir, these are responses from Papua – West Papua No.1 News Portal
Connect with us

Headlines

West Papua petition caused a stir, these are responses from Papua

Published

on

Benny Wenda submitted a petition to Jeremy Corbyn, Member of the UK Parliament and Chairman of the UK Labor Party, July 2017 – Jubi/Victor Mambor

Jayapura, Jubi – A petition claimed to hold the wishes of Papuan people on a referendum in the Land of Papua has been debated since last week among people in the Land of Papua, the Government of Indonesia and the United Nations (UN).

Denials and accusations have sprung up in various national media since the petition was published by the British media, The Guardian. The Indonesian government accused Benny Wenda, the actor behind the petition of lying and spreading hoax.

Quoting the statement of the Chairman of Decolonization Special Committee known as C24, Rafael Ramirez, Permanent Mission of the United Nations in New York said there was no petition from West Papua received by C24.

On the other hand, Benny Wenda said that if the petition was a hoax as stated by the Indonesian government, why would anyone be jailed for organizing the signing of the petition? He already suspects Indonesia will do anything to discredit the petition, himself and other West Papuan leaders, even the people of West Papua.

Loading...
;

However, some Papuans have the view that submitting the petition is not a substantial matter. The Indonesian government must recognize that the policy in the Land of Papua has not yet satisfied the Papuan indigenous (OAP).

Response from Papua

Responding to the furor of this petition, Papuan legislator Laurenz Kadepa said the current mutual claims between the Indonesian government and Benny Wenda are not the substance of the Papua issue. The most important thing it should be a lesson for the government so that policies for Papua should be evaluated from all aspects, especially human rights.

“Hoax or true, the petition information is not to be debated. Now the human rights issue in Papua is on the UN agenda and it will be an obstacle for the Indonesian government. Because the states that concern of Papua human rights continue to grow, not just Melanesian countries,” said Kadepa, Sunday (October 1).

“The Indonesian government should correct itself and improve its policy in Papua,” Kadepa continued.

While the Chairman of West Papua National Committee, Victor Yeimo to Benar News confirmed that even if without any petition everyone knows the desire of the people of Papua, which is to hold a referendum as a media to shape the fate of Papuan people.

Regarding the Chairman of C24’s rebuttal, according to Yeimo, if Chairman C24 refuses to accept the petition in his capacity as chairman it is reasonable because the authority of the commission is still in the 17 territorial of non self governance territories. Ramirez has the right to refuse the formal acceptance.

“What must be understood by the people of Papua is the chairman of C24 himself in the interview video said that West Papua was listed by General Assembly. It means he explains the procedural issues that are need to be encouraged. So, the petition is good as public awareness, but the main thing for the Papuan people is to strengthen the strength of domestic struggle, to encourage the liberation process of the people of Papua, “said Yeimo.

The same is said by Markus Haluk, one of the ULMWP’s work teams. In fact, on Tuesday 26 September 2017 Benny Wenda, accompanied by Rex Rumakiek, one of the executives of United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP), submitted a petition to the chairman of the UN Decolonization Commission in New York.

“If there is a response from the Government of Indonesia that says it is a lie, I think it’s all okay. We pray and work that in time the truth is upright for the Nation of Papua and Indonesia and the UN,” said Haluk.

ULMWP continues, focusing and working on the right of self-determination without being disturbed by the furor that arose from the petition.

Benny Wenda and his petition

Benny Wenda, a Papuan independence leader claimed to have handed the West Papua People’s Petition to a C-24 representative. After the news of the submission was released by British media, The Guardian, the Government of Indonesia immediately denied it and named the petition as a publicity stunt without any credibility.

To Jubi, Benny Wenda said he submitted the petition to C24 representatives on September 26 at the Office of the United Nations General Assembly in New York. He was with Rex Rumakiek who submitted the petition to C-24 representatives.

“More than 70% of the population in Papua wants a referendum in West Papua. Bishop Desmond Tutu and Noam Chomsky are two of the world’s leading figures who signed the petition, “Benny Wenda told the contents of the petition.

Wenda further said that the people of West Papua who are supported by the international community very much trust in the petition demand. West Papuan people demand West Papua to become a non-self-governing territory with full rights to liberty and freedom.

The signing of this petition does not go smoothly. Recorded petitions distributed online through the avaaz.org site were blocked by the Indonesian government by the end of 2016. Similarly, petitions were manually executed since April 2017. According to the ULMWP records, 57 people were arrested for supporting the petition. Among them are Yanto Awerkion, Vice Chairman of West Papua National Committee (KNPB) of Mimika and its secretary Sem Ukago on Tuesday (December 7, 2016).

“Yanto and Sem are threatened with Article 169 of the Criminal Code for participating in associations aimed at committing a crime, or participating in other associations prohibited by general rules, are punishable by imprisonment of up to six years,” added Benny Wenda.

Indonesian denial

The petition has made the Permanent Mission of Indonesia to the United Nations, New York, Triansyah Djani, issued a press release quoting an interview with Rafael Ramirez.

“As the Chairman of the UN Decolonization Special Committee (C-24), I and the Committee Secretariat, have never received, formally or informally, any petition or anyone about Papua as reported in the Guardian newspaper,” Rafael Ramírez said in a press release.

Ambassador Ramirez further affirmed that he highly respects the integrity and sovereignty of all members. The mandate of the Decolonization Committee, he added, is limited to 17 Non-Self-Governing Territories and Papua is not included in the 17 territories.

Ramirez’s statement is supported by an interview video broadcasted extensively through a youtube channel by the Permanent Mission of Indonesia to the UN, New York.

Indonesian foreign ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir, who participated with the Indonesian delegation at the UN General Assembly meeting in New York, called the petition an unfounded action.

“It’s a pure publicity action without credibility,” he said, quoted by The Guardian.

Papua, continued Nasir is an integral part of Indonesia as stipulated in United Nations General Assembly resolution 2504 (XXIV) 1969.

Support of British MPs

The All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) of England is fully supports the West Papua people’s petition. APPG release received by Jubi on Wednesday (September 27) said this petition provides strong evidence that the people of West Papua want to express their hope for a better future.

Therefore, according to Hon. Alex Sobel, APPG member (from the British labor party) acknowledged that all APPG members support West Papuan people in calling for their inalienable right to self-determination democratically, so that they can freely decide their own future peacefully.

“We will also step up this significant development with the British Government,” Alex Sobel said.

Sobel continued, West Papua people have experienced more than 50 years of widespread human rights violations without a satisfactory solution. So it is clear that in a situation that continues to deteriorate, the people of West Papua are not secure under Indonesian occupation.(tabloidjubi.com/Zely Ariane)

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Six defendants of anti-racism protest in Jayapura sentenced to six months jail

Published

on

By

Goddess of Justice. – Jubi/Pixabay

Jayapura, Jubi – The Jayapura District Court found guilty six defendants involved in a mass riot following the anti-racism protests in Papua on 29 August 2019. The panel of judges gave them six months sentence, reduced by the defendants’ detention period. Therefore, the defendants would able to release soon after being sentence since the end of August 2019. However, their legal counsel team says to challenge the verdict because they believe that their clients are not guilty.

The six defendants Yan Peter Suramaja, Dolfin, Vinsen Dogopia, Jorgen Aipui, Valerio Yaas, Peter Meraudje, are found guilty in the trial chaired by Judge Alexander Jacob Tetelepta, with the panel members Roberto Naibaho and Korneles Waroi.

The public prosecutor charged them with different articles. Yan Peter Suramaja charged with Emergency Article, while Dolfin accused Article 160 of the criminal code on the incitement against the government. Meanwhile, Vinsen Dogopie charged with Article 170 of the criminal code about conducting violence against people and properties. The other three defendants Jorgen Aipui, Valerio Yaas, and Peter Merauje indicted with Article 365 of the criminal code about theft with violence.

In responding to the court’s verdict, lawyer Frederika Korain confirms that her clients would release soon if they accept the verdict because they have been in the detention since the end of August 2029. “Following the court’s verdict, their days in the detention will end soon. But we will consider this and discuss with their family to challenge not guilty,” Korain says on Thursday.

Loading...
;

In the meantime, lawyer Relika Tambunan who is also a member of defendants’ legal counsel declares the court finding does not meet the expectation of the Advocate Team for Indigenous Papuans, as the trial was not able to approve the public prosecutor’s indictment.

“There is no strong evidence to accuse them. Indeed, the trial cannot prove that our clients are guilty or commit crime as charged to them. We have time to reconsider before challenge for not guilty,” said Tambunan. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Aryo Wisanggeni G

 

(Visited 25 times, 3 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Two civilians reportedly killed in Sugapa

Published

on

By

Photo illustration. – pixabay.com

Jayapura, Jubi – Two civilians reportedly killed in a joint military operation at Yoparu Village of Sugapa Sub-district, Intan Jayapura Regency on Tuesday (18/2/2020). The report also informs two Papuan women have been injured during the gun conflict and currently are under medical treatment. However, no release so far made by the security forces related to the report.

Jubi resource confirms two victims in this military ambush are Kayus Sani and Meky who shot in their houses on Tuesday dawn. The joint police and military forces arrived at Yoparu Village on Tuesday at around 3 a.m. Papua time, he says.

“Kayus was shot dead in his house. They (the joint security forces) entered the house and shot him on the chest and fingers. They also did the same thing to Meky, entering his house and shooting him dead in his house,” he says.

A report further informs that residents took the bodies of Kayus and Meky to a local church on Tuesday, but no information about their funeral yet.

Loading...
;

Meanwhile, two indigenous women were also reportedly injured in the same operation. Elepina Sani, Meky’s mother, was shot in her hand, and currently got treatment in Yoparu Village, while a bullet hit Malopina in her leg. She is referred to Timika on Tuesday for further treatment.

Until the article published, no confirmation from both military or police about the incident so far received by Jubi. Jubi has attempted to contact Papua Police Chief Paulus Waterpauw on Whatsapp at 20.26 Papua time for clarification, but no reply so far. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Headlines

Military spokesperson says victims of military operation in Sugapa are members of insurgent group

Published

on

By

Photo illustration. – pixabay.com

Jayapura, Jubi – Colonel Eko Daryanto, the military public relations chief of Cenderawasih Military Command, says a victim killed on Tuesday (18/2/2020) in the armed conflict in Yaparo Village of Sugapa Sub-district, Intan Jaya Regency was an insurgent group member. He also claims that a boy killed in the same shooting location shot by the armed group.

Colonel Daryanto’s clarification is opposite to a witness’ statement cited by Jubi on Tuesday. Jubi resource told that both victims Kayus Sani and Meky Tipagau are civilians. He also informed two women had wounded during the attack.

As cited by Antara News Agency, Eko Daryanto states that the joint enforcement troop had involved in a gun conflict with an insurgent group in Sugapa on Tuesday at 7.20 Papua time when they saw two insurgent members carrying two guns. “They involved in a gun conflict while chasing those insurgents, but this armed group made to escape to the cliffs and bushes ahead to Ugimba,” says the colonel in Jayapura on Wednesday (19/2/2020).

Moreover, according to him, the troop later found Meky Tipogau’s body when checking the location after the conflict. He declares the victim Tipogau was shot by the military while carrying a weapon, but his friend was able to run away with his gun. Also, during the operation, the joint military troop seized a laptop, a cellular phone and two assembled guns, a facsimile machine, a bow and arrows.

Loading...
;

Eko further states that during the armed conflict on Tuesday, the insurgent group shot the joint military forces randomly. “Their fire hit 14 years old girls named Kina Sani who shot in her left sole,” says Eko.

Earlier, on Tuesday, Jubi published an article saying two civilians reportedly killed in Sugapa. According to Jubi source, the victims Kayus Sani and Meky Tipogau shot by the security forces in their houses. He stated that the shooting incident happened in the Tuesday early morning in Yoparu Village, Sugapa Subdistrict.

Jubi also reported that two women had injured during the armed conflict in the same location. Elepina Sani, Meky Tipogau’s mother, was shot in her hand, and now treated by locals in Yoparu Village. Meanwhile, Malopina Sani who shot in her leg referred to Timika for further medical treatment on Tuesday. (*)

 

Reporter: Aryo Wisanggeni G

Editor: Pipit Maizier

(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today)
Continue Reading

Trending